Clear Vue Cyclone Forums  

Go Back   Clear Vue Cyclone Forums > Clearvue Cyclones > Basic Dust Collection Questions

Old 05-28-2010, 07:36 PM

Default Mini CV06 vs Dust Deputy

Busy Bee Tools in Canada started stocking the Dust Deputy. My initial reaction is the patent suit launched by Oneida has to be a pile of bull droppings that is based more on legal budgets than actual technology, design and whatever else.
If the Oneida patent challenge has merit, then would it not extend to every cyclone on the market? The Dust Deputy is a very basic "little" cyclone, with none of the efficiencies of the Clear Vue (Pentz) design.

Don
Old 05-30-2010, 09:20 AM

It's a case of the Golden Rule: He who has the gold makes the rules.
Old 05-30-2010, 11:43 PM

I would say it is more a case of he who patents first sticks it to the other guy (competition).

Bill Pentz is quite noble in not patenting all his work but then it leaves room for situations like this to come up. Since there was no patent on the design before, Oneida has the easy opportunity of putting in a patent for a design that is not even theirs so much to start with. But that is how ideas role and the idea behind having a patent so that the competition can't cherry pick your ideas and make them 'their' own without compensating you.

Obviously Clearvue and Bill Pentz had an agreement (handshake type deal?) in place so that both parties benefit without jumping through legal hoops to work in co-operation. Bill is rewarded for his design, Clearvue helped to bring his design to the marketplace for those of us who didn't want to build our own but still wanted good dust collection, not typical 'dust pump' variety all the big names have no problem selling.

Maybe hindsight being 20/20, BP could have patented his ideas and still worked it out with companies like Clearvue to use his design as he had spec'd.

Now I gotta go build me a mini cyclone off his plans cause there is no way Oneida is sucking a single penny outta my pocket!