fiberglass duct board

Todderw

Getting closer to installing my CVC... I've considered using some fiberglass duct board as part of my sound deadening. I searched the forum for others using it but came up with nothing. We used this stuff to make insulated rectangular HVAC ducts when we built our house. It's similar to the 4' x 8' sheets of dow foam board, only the material is fiberglass in sheet form with aluminum foil on the outer surface. It comes in a couple different thicknesses/r-value. I was thinking that lining an enclosure or plenum with it would work well, fiberglas face exposed. Thoughts?

Maybe the price of the stuff is really high and that's why nobody has used it!

What about homosote, how good is that at absorbing sound?

I used 4" Roxul insulation and then covered with homosote. I also used a 6" PVC pipe with the opening at the highest point of the ceiling and down the wall to exhaust back into my shop using a regular heating vent cover. This forces the hot air down and out to the shop at floor level. It is very quiet. Roxul was the key.

Any pics of this setup James? I would like to do something similar in my shop but I'm having a hard time visualizing where you put the PVC pipe. Thanks!

-John

John,
When I setup my closet, I made it air tight. The door is solid and seals at the floor and all around the door. Then I cut out a vent rectangle close to the floor where I wanted the air to return to my shop and used a normal HVAC vent cover. I built a box on the inside of the closet and the 10' PVC pipe is set into that box and sealed around the wall so the air can only be pushed through the vent. The air pressure causes the hot air to be forced to the top of the PVC pipe and run down and out the vent opening at the floor. I don't think I have a picture of it, but hopefully this explains it enough for you to catch the concept. This ensures that the hot air is pushed out of the closet and keeps the motor cool.

Why did the 10' PVC pipe need to be within a box inside the closet? Was this for extra noise control? Was your closet around the whole unit or just the filter stack?

Thanks,
-John

Back