Bandsaw Dust Collection

Chieftain

One of the most important tools in any shop (after your Clear Vue Cyclone, of course) is the bandsaw. I have a copy of a popular bandsaw book on the making of small boxes, and it is replete with lots of pictures from the author's old reliable Delta bandsaw, and the one thing they all have in common is the incredible amount of fine sawdust that is piled up all over the machine. There is no dust collection evident and the pictures set an incredibly bad example not only from a health standpoint but from the obvious fire hazard too.

I have a 14" Grizzly Tools bandsaw, and like most others like it, it has a 4" dust port molded into the lower wheel housing. It is adequate but far from perfect, even with good air volume, because the lower blade guides are above the housing, and spread sawdust everywhere.

A lot of bandsaw owners come up with different ways to control dust, and this is how I did it, and built it into the new 6" ducting.

sandercabinet017.jpg

The first step is to make some kind of box that will enclose the lower guides of the saw without obstructing them, and adapting that box into the dust collection system. To start, I cut down a piece of PVC pipe that was the correct width, and fitted it with 1/4" plywood ends.

sandercabinet022.jpg

I glued a piece off an old shop-vac wand into the back of the PVC box, and used a piece of flex hose to adapt it into the vacuum system. I later added an additional side piece of 1/4" plywood to each side, that was carefully cut to fit up closely underneath the cast iron table.

I used some light velcro I had to hold it in place. I have since switched to a heavier velcro because it works very well.

:D

dustcollector004.jpg

I took a black PVC 4" Wye, and attached it to the bandsaw with a heavy rubber plumbing collar and hose clamps. I adapted the wye down to 2 1/2" and hooked up the guide vacuum box to that. It was a simple matter to attach a short length of 4" corrugated hose to the blast gate.

The suction from the six inch duct is so strong, and creates such a powerful vacuum inside the bandsaw and around the lower guides, it simply does not throw dust any more. I get a tiny bit of dust that kicks out when I resaw, but not much considering what it used to do before.

There are a million ways to do this, and of course it depends on your own installation, but most bandsaws can really benefit from this kind of hookup and almost all 14" saws have very similar arrangements for dust collection.

:D

I used a piece of cardboard to make a big difference with my 18" Rikon. I made a 3-sided shroud to fit under the table around the lower blade guides in front of the trunion.

The saw already had a 4" dust port at the top of the lower cabinet and another at the bottom but still threw some dust out the front from the 5" open space just below the table.

The folded cardboard shroud is held in place with some magnets. I'll probably use it as a template to make one from plastic.

I used a piece of cardboard to make a big difference with my 18" Rikon. I made a 3-sided shroud to fit under the table around the lower blade guides in front of the trunion.

The saw already had a 4" dust port at the top of the lower cabinet and another at the bottom but still threw some dedusting installations out the front from the 5" open space just below the table.

The folded cardboard shroud is held in place with some magnets. I'll probably use it as a template to make one from plastic.

I'm looking to upgrade my bandsaw. I currently have an older 12" Sears and it's time for something much more capable. I will mostly do a lot of resaw work with it.

Back